fgfdfgffg - UNSW Faculty of Engineering

fgfdfgffg - UNSW Faculty of Engineering

CVEN Coursework Masters Plans Hossein Taiebat Postgraduate Coordinator School of Civil and Environmental Engineering Key Administration People Les Brown Front Desk Enquiries, first point of contact Lena Comino Student Service Officer Kristy Guia Manager, Student Centre Our email address: [email protected] Please dont send emails to individual people

The School Office Level 4, Civil Engineering Building Email [email protected] This is your UNSW contact address, check it regularly! https://zmail.unsw.edu.au/ Important general information from the School and UNSW will be sent to your UNSW email address When you contact us, provide: Your name and student ID Your specialisation/plan PG Information Booklet Important web sites Most of the information you need can be found from the school or UNSW websites http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/civil-engineering/

>Timetables >Course information >Program and specialisation rules http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/ >Detailed information about all programs and courses https://my.unsw.edu.au >MyUNSW > UNSW Moodle, via http://moodle.telt.unsw.edu.au/ Some Important Jargon Program: Degree + Disciplinary stream, eg: Master of Engineering Science, CVEN8338 Graduate Diploma of Eng Science, CVEN5341 Master of Engineering, CVEN8621 Specialisation: Disciplinary stream or Plan, eg:

MEngSc in Geotechnical Engineering, CVENRT8338 Course: or subject, eg: CVEN9707, Contracts Management Programs CVEN8338, Master of Engineering Science (MEngSc) CVEN8538, - This program is suited to students who hold 4-year Bachelor of Engineering in a relevant discipline CVEN8621, Master of Engineering (ME) - This program is suited to international students who want to apply for accreditation in Australia - Must hold a Bachelor of Engineering in the area of civil or environmental engineering or equivalent OR - A Bachelor of Science at least equivalent to the first three years of a civil or environmental engineering degree

Specialisations CVEN8338, Master of Engineering Science - Environmental Engineering CVEN MT 8338 - Geospatial Engineering CVEN NT 8338 - Geotechnical Eng &Engineering Geology CVEN RT 8338 - Project Management, CVEN FT 8338 - Structural Engineering CVEN XS 8338 - Transport Engineering CVEN CT 8338 - Water Engineering, catchments to coasts CVEN IT 8338 - Water, Wastewater and Waste Eng. CVEN KT 8338 and - Civil Engineering CVEN ZS 8338

CVEN8621, Master of Engineering (ME) - Civil Engineering - Environmental Engineering CVEN YS 8621 CVEN LT 8621 Requirement for Graduation CVEN8338, CVEN8538, Master Master of of Engineering Engineering Science Science AAtotal totalof of 96 72Units

Unitsof ofCredite Credite(UoC) (UoC) must mustbe becompleted: completed: + -- 24 24+UoC UoCDisciplinary DisciplinaryKnowledge KnowledgeCourses Courses (Professional (Professional Development) Development) Prerequisite Prerequisiteto

toAdvanced AdvancedDisciplinary DisciplinaryCourses Courses + -- 24 24+UoC UoCAdvanced AdvancedDisciplinary DisciplinaryCourses Courses In Inthe theparticular particulararea areaof ofspecialisation specialisationselected

selected + -- 12 12+UoC UoCElectives Electives At Atleast leastone onefrom fromthe thelist listof ofapproved approvedEngineering Engineeringand andTechnical Technical

Management ManagementCourses Courses - 18+ Research GSOE9010 and 12+ Masters Thesis BUT: BUT: Most of you with Civil Eng Background have been given Most of you with CivilStanding Eng Background 24UoC Advanced (GSOE24)have been given 48UoC AdvancedDevelopment Standing courses

....for Professional ....for Professional Development courses and Masters Thesis Requirement for Graduation CVEN8621, Master of Engineering A total of 96 Units of Credite (UoC) must be completed: - 48 UoC Professional Development Courses Equivalent to courses at level 4 Civil & Environmental Engineering May include a maximum of 12 UoC Electives - 30 UoC Advanced Courses 12 UoC of approved Engineering and Technical Management courses 18 UoC of Electives from any Specialisation courses - 18 UoC Design course and Research Project CVEN9000 Design Practice

CVEN9931 Masters Project A (3rd Semester) CVEN9932 Masters Project B (4th Semester) Program Duration Normal full time load: 24 UoC per session Part time: flexible, at least 6 UoC Only allowed for local students If cannot attend in a semester, apply for study leave Forms on my UNSW International students: complete in minimum time with full study load: 24 UoC per session. Cannot take more than 1 distance course during the program If fail one course, can get a summer course or enrol in a distance course and study at home country May need extension of visa

Specialisation Advisers Specialisation Civil Engineering Project Management Geotechnical Structural Engineering Environmental Engineering Water Eng, catchments to coasts Water, Wastewater and Waste Transport Geospatial Engineering Coordinator Hossein Taiebat Steven Davis Kurt Douglas Mario Attard Stephen Moore Ian Turner Stephen Moore

Vinayak Dixit Linlin Ge Enrolment Enrolment is completed through myUNSW website You are to manage your own timetable and enrolment. Your enrolment is your responsibility. Enrol in compulsory courses first If you need academic advice on course selection, contact your specialisation advisor Note the different modes of course delivery Normal mode, distance mode, block format Find details on timetable Non-Civil Eng Courses Seek approval before you enrol Must be relevant to your specialisation

Leave courses from Faculty of Eng, GSOE????, as your last choice. These courses are related to general engineering and are not specific to Civil/Environmental engineering Enrolment Project and Thesis Select your topic from the list of available topics http://intranet.civeng.unsw.edu.au/info-about/student-intranet You need to enrol in: Thesis/Project part A (6UoC) in one semester Thesis/Project part B (6UoC) in the following semester Enrol via the School Office Fill the application form and submit it to the school office before the start of the semester http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/civil-engineering/sites/civil/files/uploads/ forms/MASTERS%20THESIS.pdf If you plan to complete your degree in one year, you have to enrol in

thesis/project part A in your first semester Important Dates (Semester 1, 5pm 8 March: 2015) Last day to add a new course 5pm 31 March: Census date, withdraw without penalty, no costs 5pm 26 April: Week 7, withdraw without academic penalty, lost $. Contact the School Office before you go ahead After that you cannot withdraw If you dont attend the exam, you fail If you have a good/valid reason, you may apply for special consideration

For details and forms see MyUNSW Courses Each lecturer is different See course profile Choose group members for assignments carefully Assignment submission and late penalties: Each lecturer is different See course profile Seek some advice prior to submitting your assignment. Overlap of short courses and 12 week courses. Exams You must be here 12-29 June 2015 Exam schedule in about week 10 of session, on your MyUNSW site. Do not book plane tickets until after you know your final

exam timetable. Get there 15 minutes before starting time. Supplementary exams for postgrad courses Only offered if special consideration is applied for and approved. Calculators in Exams Only approved calculators are allowed Calculators in Exam Only approved calculators are allowed Special Consideration Information about eligibility and process: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/SpecialConsideration. html You must apply for SC as soon as practicable and within three working days

of the assessment You must provide supporting documents You need to submit original documents Application must be made via Online Services - In myUNSW Go to My Student Profile tab > My Student Services channel > Online Services > Special Consideration Must be submitted to UNSW Student Academic Standing You are expected to complete program requirements with very few failures https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/academicstandingrulespg.html Total UoC failed

Academic Standing < 12 Good 12-18 Probation >18 Exclusion Consequence None Must consult your Academic Advisor; discuss your progress, plan for improving results, and

seek approval for enrolment Exclusion for two academic years, must re-apply for re-admission. Library Online ELISE Study Skills tutorial (compulsory) http://pgelise.library.unsw.edu.au/ Understand UNSW study requirements Find the best information for your needs Evaluate information and resources Learn about UNSW Library resources and services FAQ

Can I change my program? eg, from Graduate Diploma to Master Yes, the total duration will take longer Can I change my specialisation? Yes, but you still need to follow the rules of graduation. Contact the School Office Do I have to take GSOE9010, Research Essentials? Yes, this course is now a compulsory component for the new master program (8338) Where can I discuss problems with my visa? Contact Student Development International (SDI) Can I refuse Advance Standing for PD courses or thesis? Yes, Contact the School Office FAQ

I refused Advanced Standing. Which courses can I select beside those which are compulsory? In lieu of Advanced Standing, we recommend courses to be taken from Advanced Disciplinary Knowledge list. However, you also have the option of taking courses from Disciplinary Knowledge (Level 4 of undergraduate studies). Whom should I contact for advice? If you would like advice about credit exemption or advanced standing, or would like to change your plan/specialisation, obtain approval to enrol in courses from other faculties, contact the School office Only if you would like advice about selecting specific courses, contact your specialisation advisor Can I take courses from other faculties? Yes, provided that you can get approval before enrolling in the course FAQ Where can I get information about a specific course? See Online Handbook: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au

School website provides a range of different information about courses and their timetable Where can I find a safe study space on Campus? Studio, Level 5, Civil Engineering Building Eora Study Lounge, near the Central Lecture Block Study Lounge, in front of the main library Can I have access to Wifi while I am at UNSW? UNSW is covered by UniWide wireless network to which you can connect your laptop and other mobile devices. See IT Service Desk located at the back of the library for help or check: https://www.it.unsw.edu.au/students/uniwide FAQ Where can I get help within the campus? FM Assist: http://www.facilities.ensw.edu.au/fm-assist Level 2 Mathews Building For your ID card, parking permit, lost property, etc

IT Service Desk: https://www.it.unsw.edu.au/students/index.html At the back of the main library For any queries related to your Uni pass or webmail, wifi etc UNSW student Central: http://studentcentral.unsw.edu.au Chancellery building (next to Library Lawn) For fee information, academic transcripts, graduations, special consideration Student Development Int: http://studentlifelearning.unsw.edu.au/sdi John Goodsell Building For extending your visa, bringing your family, social activities, Int Student Advisors The Learning Centre: http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/ Chancellery Building Provides a wide range of free academic skills support services FAQ Whats the difference between 8338 program and 8621 program

8621 is designed for international students who would like to apply for accreditation in Australia. The normal duration of this program is 2 years. On the first year they have to enrol in courses from level 4 undergraduate studies and on the second year you enrol in courses from postgraduate studies. This program also include design and research project and industrial training. 8338 is designed specifically for those who have a Civil/Environmental Engineering (or equivalent) background and would like to develop or enhance their knowledge in one specific field to, for example, move a head into the next phase of their engineering future. The duration of this program is also 2 years but, depending on their previous studies, students may be exempted from up to 8 courses and therefore can complete their degree in one year. If you do not have a Civil/Environmental Engineering background, or did not pass any research based thesis/project, you will be exempted from a lower number of courses. FAQ Id like to study for 2 years. Should I enrol in program 8621.

Program 8621 is specifically designed for students whose previous degree is not recognised by authorities in Australia. If your previous degree is recognised in Australia, we recommend program 8338, which is more specialised. If you are awarded advanced standing for program 8338 and you would like to study longer, you can always refuse accepting advanced standing and therefore study for 2 years.

Recently Viewed Presentations

  • Ismael Herrera and Leaky Aquifer Theory - UNAM

    Ismael Herrera and Leaky Aquifer Theory - UNAM

    Dupuit. Approximation. Philip Forchheimer(1852-1933) ... contribution was to use the general solutions of the partial differential equation as trial functions." Cheng & Cheng (2005), History of BEM . ... Ismael Herrera and Leaky Aquifer Theory
  • African-American Humor by Don L. F. Nilsen and

    African-American Humor by Don L. F. Nilsen and

    In small town America, amateur actors loved to put on black-face and costumes and perform their own minstrel shows. Popular children's books included the 1889 Story of Little Black Sambo by British author Helen Bannerman and the 1907 Epaminondas and...
  • PowerPoint-Präsentation


    O Further characterisation of Si machining process is. required but shows promise. O Further development of Laser processing capabilities. Process to include: Direct patterning of micro fluidics. PV cell processing. Micro structuring of bio-materials. Metal polishing
  • PowerPoint Template - Safe Supportive Learning

    PowerPoint Template - Safe Supportive Learning

    Bullying experiences include not only physical aggression but also verbal aggression, including verbal teasing and taunting, spreading rumors, or socially rejecting and isolating another student. Citation 3
  • A Safety Management System (SMS) is: A systematic

    A Safety Management System (SMS) is: A systematic

    A Safety Management System (SMS) is: "A systematic approach to managing safety, including the necessary organizational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures." ICAO Doc. 9859, Sec. 1.4.2 It is believed that the Federal Aviation Administration will soon mandate that operators ...
  • ppt_small_image


    Committee Report Senate Academic Affairs Committee (SAAC) February 12, 2019 Kate Brown, Ph.D. School of Business and Technology * Submission Reminder All submissions that have to be approved by the USM and MHEC must be approved at the March 12,...
  • DG TREN - ULisboa

    DG TREN - ULisboa

    Georgi Simeonov. European Commission. DG ENER, Radiation Protection Unit (D3) Justificação e Optimização das Exposições Médicas a Radiações Ionizantes . 16 September 2015, Lisbon. Implementation of Euratom Basic Safety Standards into Radiological Practice. In Focus: Justification. Energy
  • Romanticism An introduction and exploration of notable works

    Romanticism An introduction and exploration of notable works

    Romanticism An introduction and exploration of notable works What makes you feel emotion? ROMANTICISM Social Class(es): Buzzwords Mixes Well With Doesn't Play Well With Proponent(s) Document(s) Artists, Authors, & Poets Conservatism (Backward Looking) Nationalism (It's Just Beautiful) William Blake (Poet)...